Carter has always wanted to have deer heads mounted on our walls, to which I replied, “Sure. When we can afford a house where you have your own office with closed doors to put them in.”
Now you move me to Colorado, and I’m having urges to redecorate my house to make it look like a hunting lodge. Well, maybe with a rustic chic spin.
All that to say that I’m all about that deer head, bout that deer head, no body.
And glitter. Can a hunting lodge have glitter??
I’ve seen similar art projects floating around Pinterest and wanted to create my own spin on it. This was very inexpensive to make, especially if you already have some basic crafting supplies on hand. Here is (mostly) what you need:
Missing: hot glue gun, a stencil, paint and foam brushes
Steps to Create Your Own Glittery Deer Canvas:
- Trace out the silhouette of the deer onto your canvas. I found some good printables and basically freehanded because I had a large canvas. Here is a great printable, and the one I modeled my drawing after.
- Trace the outline with your metallic marker, spread the glue in the middle (I used a foam brush) and then dump the glitter. I got these instructions from HeyLaurenRene.com and I’d definitely check it out. She has a super chic version of this with black and white stripes that I am in love with and will someday make.
- Tap the glitter off into a trash can. Inadvertently pour 1/4 cup glitter onto the floor and attempt to clean up with a damp paper towel. Glitter is now forever on your clothes, hands, feet, and probably your face. Enjoy.
- Wrap the ribbon around the base and hot glue to the back.
- Hammer in nail heads around the canvas while watching a Hallmark Christmas movie, then redo the entire left side that is spaced super close together because you weren’t paying attention. Or you could take a pencil and mark dots first.
- Hot glue your cute, cheap greenery onto the ribbon.
- Pick a Christmasy word and use your paint, stencil and a foam brush to stencil it onto the ribbon.
- Take a pic and share it on instagram #ChristmasCraftingAwesomeness
The perfect rustic chic piece of art to add to your Christmas decor!